Title: Diversity Outreach and History Day Intern
Department: Diversity Outreach
Supervisor: Diversity Outreach Program Associate
Hours: 6-10 hours a week
Timeframe: Fall 2013 (August - December)
Status: Unpaid. (A limited number of stipends are available to students from communities of color underrepresented in the Society)
Location: Minnesota History Center, Saint Paul, MN
Project Summary: This internship is designed to involve a student in several aspects of Education Outreach within the Minnesota Historical Society. This will include participation in the 2014 History Day season with particular emphasis on teacher communication and follow-up, classroom help as needed, and workshop preparation. The student will also be provided the opportunity to learn more about the Society’s Teacher Education component.
National History Day: National History Day is the Society’s largest educational outreach program. Participating students research and present papers, exhibits, documentaries, performances and websites based on an annual theme. Each spring there are 13 regional events held throughout the state, as well as a state event held in May. Much of the intern’s involvement will be related to communicating and working with teachers this Fall to prepare students for the Spring competitions or due dates.
Ideal degrees: History, education, english or related field.
Student Qualifications: Interest in public history educational programs, a strong work ethic, and the ability to work independently. Experience with data entry and knowledge of Microsoft Suite. Prior experience working with students and history day is a plus.
- Mentor a selected group of students in a classroom or after-school setting related to their History Day projects
- Track data and curriculum material sales
- Collect and import teacher/school information into program databases
- Support with fall mailings
- Help History Day staff prepare for workshops at the History Center
- Attend Teacher Education Workshops
- Assist with data collection and analysis for reports and workshops and in preparation for Teacher Education workshops
Knowledge intern is expected to gain:
- Knowledge behind the scenes planning and implementation of History Day program
- Mentoring skills and experience
- Experience with data collection and knowledge of program reporting process
- Familiarity with and ability to utilize a public history database
- Experience working with teachers and students in a professional setting
Additional Required Submissions: None
To apply, please visit the Internship Program Application Process page.