Title: History Day Library Services Intern
Department: Education Outreach – History Day
Supervisor: Program Manager II, History Day
Hours: 15-20 per week, varies
Timeframe: Fall 2013 through Spring 2014 (September 2013 - May 2014)
Project Summary: National History Day in Minnesota has partnered with the Council of Regional Library System Administrators (CRPLSA) to promote library use by History Day students statewide. This position would assist the History Day staff in facilitating library research field trips, research open houses, and workshops for librarians.
Student Qualifications: Undergrad and/or working toward Grad degree
Ideal degrees: Enrolled in Library Science program or interested in pursuing library science career.
- Help promote History Day library programs statewide by identifying interested regional library branches and facilitating a relationship between local, participating History Day schools.
- Help facilitate librarian workshops on the basics of History Day and how to incorporate History Day into library programming.
- Participate in research open houses by helping students locate resources in metro area libraries and providing guidance on History Day project development. Providing support to students participating in library research field trips to the University of Minnesota.
- Help plan and prepare for research open houses
- Record and analyze survey data collected from participating students, teachers and parents regarding their experience with History Day library programming.
- Transition into Spring semester serving as the support position for the MHS library, as well as working with continuing library programs.
Knowledge intern is expected to gain:
- Knowledge of the National History Day in Minnesota program and its collaborative work with library programming through Legacy funds provided by CRPLSA
- Knowledge of the regional library system in Minnesota and ways to engage 6-12 grade students in a library setting.
- Emerging trends in youth services in libraries and archives
- Direct experience providing reference support to middle and high school students
To apply, please visit the Internship Program Application Process page.