Title: Manuscripts Acquisitions Intern
Supervisor: Collections Assistant, Manuscripts
Hours: 4-8 hours/week (Monday-Friday, normally between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.).
Timeframe: Fall 2013
Status: Unpaid; a limited number of stipends are available to students from communities of color who are underrepresented in the Society.
Location: Minnesota Historical Society, Saint Paul, MN
Project Summary: Appraise and arrange incoming manuscripts collections and prepare preliminary box/folder/volume spreadsheets.
Ideal degrees: History, fine arts, library science or related degrees.
Student Qualifications: The candidate must be a junior or senior level undergraduate or graduate level student.
- Familiarity with historic documents.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Knowledge of record keeping processes and paper filing systems.
- Knowledge of standard office software.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision.
Keep any information in “restricted” files confidential. Information in restricted files must not be shared with anyone outside the Collections Department.
- Appraise and arrange incoming manuscripts collections.
- Label folders and boxes with clarity and accuracy.
- Prepare box/folder/volume spreadsheets.
- Research and draft biographical sketches and organizational histories as requested.
Knowledge intern is expected to gain:
- Practical experience in the appraisal and arrangement of manuscripts collections.
- Experience using common office software.
- Exposure to and knowledge of varied manuscripts collections
- Experience in historical research.
Additional Materials Required:
- Writing sample of at least 3-5 pages demonstrating research skills and/or any applicable skills.
To apply, please visit the Internship Program Application Process page.