Department: Historic Programs & Education
Supervisor: Program Specialist, Institutional Sustainability
Hours: 12 hours/week – 150 hours per semester
Timeframe: Fall 2013 (September - December)
Location: Minnesota History Center, Saint Paul, MN
Project Summary: The intern will work primarily on the engagement and communications aspect of the Institutional Sustainability Project. The project focuses on quantifying energy, waste, and water consumption at the organization’s 26 historic sites, and prioritizes highest impact sustainability strategies. For the last two years, the sustainability audit has proposed over $1.8 million in utility bill savings and 1.5 million kg of diverted greenhouse gas emissions. One important aspect of the overall sustainability project is to communicate these efforts effectively to different audiences. As such, the communication efforts, branded “More for the Mission,” will attempt to call MHS staff to action and engage visitors and members to sustainability efforts.
The intern will produce posters, mailings, presentations, and assist in event planning in collaboration with the Supervisor and other MHS staff. The student will also be expected to produce one blog post per week, which includes researching and proposing topics, producing the content, and posting the piece pending Supervisor approval.
Ideal degrees: Graphic design, communications, environmental science, architecture, or other design-related fields.
Student Qualifications: Can be a junior or senior level undergraduate student, or a graduate level student with a passion for sustainability and the environment. Must possess the following:
- Strong written communication skills
- Excellent graphic design skills
- Motivated with strong work ethic
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment
- Manage sustainability blog editorial calendar
- Research, propose, and produce weekly blog pieces related to the topic of sustainability
- Produce information-graphics communicating complex data to various audiences
- Various administrative tasks, such as acquiring quotes from printers or other vendors
Knowledge intern is expected to gain:
- Increased awareness of sustainability quantification techniques
- Experience developing behavioral-based sustainability strategies
- Experience producing information-graphics that communicate complex issues to various audiences
- Experience managing a blog in a professional work setting
- Cover letter
- Portfolio of graphics or design work
- 3-page writing sample
To apply, please visit the Internship Program Application Process page.