Title: MHS Press Sales and Marketing Intern
Department: Minnesota Historical Society Press
Supervisor: Sales Manager
Hours: Approximately 20 per week
Timeframe: Spring 2014 (January - May)
Location: Minnesota History Center, St. Paul, MN
Project Summary: The MHS Press Sales and Marketing Intern will assist in the promotion and sales of books published by the MHS Press.
Student Qualifications: Junior or senior level undergraduate or graduate student with an interest in business
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and take direction from multiple people
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment.
- Comfort level participating in team meetings.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work independently.
- Facility with or willingness to learn database programs and Excel.
Ideal degree: Business, sales, marketing, literature., ethnic studies, history, American studies, or related field.
Student Responsibilities: The MHS Press Sales and Marketing Intern will help participate in at least two bookstore sales calls, pull media lists, research special sales opportunities handle press mailings, update databases, and take care of Minnesota History subscriptions.
Other duties will include but are not limited to blog/Facebook/Twitter posting, and writing e-newsletters.
The position will also get a brief overview of the editorial and production processes as well as a behind the scenes look at the workings of the Minnesota History Journal.
Knowledge intern is expected to gain:
- Understand the workings of a small publishing house
- Experience in sales research
- Experience in how to evaluate and pitch product
For more information or to apply, please visit the Internship Program Application Process page.