Internship Title: Design Intern
Department: MHS Press/ Borealis Books
Supervisor: Design and Production Manager
Hours: Require a minimum of 12-20 hours/week
Timeframe: Spring 2014 (January – May, 2014)
Status: Unpaid. (A limited number of stipends are available to students from communities of color who are underrepresented in the Society).
Location: Minnesota History Center, Saint Paul, MN
Project Summary: The MHS Press/Borealis Books Design Intern will assist the publishing staff in the areas of production, design, marketing, and administration. We offer an exciting opportunity to work with veteran staff willing to share their knowledge of the book industry, and also provide unique and independent projects. The intern will be working in an office environment with a mix of computer and non-computer related work.
Ideal Degrees: Graphic design preferred. Marketing, business, english, history, art or communications majors will be considered. However, preference will be given to students with a design background.
Student Qualifications: The intern candidate should have a working knowledge of typography, graphic design, basic video/audio editing skills, creative digital (i.e. web) and traditional print marketing concepts and skills and research skills. An interest in book design and production, top notch organizational skills, aptitude/interest in social media/marketing & the demonstrated ability to work independently are also highly sought after. Experience with Microsoft Office and the Google software suite are preferred.
- Meet with Marketing staff at the beginning of the internship to learn about department functions
- Research markets, new books, and available print and online marketing tools for the industry
- Brainstorm marketing ideas with the Marketing department
- Design new book covers and academic print or electronic direct mailing pieces
- Provide assistance in delivering image files for publicity and online use
- Provide production and design assistance for press kits, etc.
- Web site and blog design and general digital production assistance, including production of audio/video podcasts & book trailers
- Meet with the Editorial department to learn about department functions
- Conduct library and Internet research for potential books/anthologies/reprints
- Conduct photo and art research for covers and interiors, including permissions and ordering
- Read trade journals and attend acquisitions meetings
- Meet with the Production Manager to learn about department functions and attend production meetings
- Complete production and design work on print-on-demand titles and reprints, including reworking existing cover and text files
- Provide production and design support for new titles, including cover and interior designs
- Support E-book production management
- Attend staff meetings and meet with the Press Director and other divisional design and production staff to learn the business/overall strategic function
- Production and design presentation assistance, including charts, graphs, and PowerPoint
Knowledge intern is expected to gain:
- Knowledge of the MHS Press overall business, strategy, and function
- Experience in all aspects of working with the MHS Press
- Design samples for student portfolio
- Illustration samples
To apply, please visit the Internship Program Application Process page.