Supervisor: Reference Associate
Hours: 10 to 15 hours per week
Timeframe: Spring 2014
Project Summary: The Intern will assist in the day-to-day operations of the reference department and will work with staff members that provide professional public services to MHS Library’s users. The intern will also assist on different types of digital projects in order to help the Reference staff provide better reference services and outreach to MHS Library’s users.
Ideal degrees: Library Science, History, or Public History
Graduate or undergraduate students studying library/information sciences or history will be considered. The successful candidate must have strong research, writing, and communications skills. An interest in the Library’s mission and a willingness to learn are necessities. An interest in the use of technology in library and museum work is a plus, as is experience with website creation, digital audio-visual creation/editing using tools (like Adobe Premier, Final Cut, and/or iMovie), and screencasting.
- Evaluating and updating existing reference tools
- Updating, revising, or creating Research Guide content for online publication
- Providing in-person customer service at the Library’s Registration Desk
- Assisting with the Library’s E-Commerce Research Services
- Working on digital projects. Depending on the interests/aptitudes and the Library needs, projects may include:
- Creating video components for History Topic research guide web-pages
- Creating screencasts for internal and external training purposes
- Converting reference tools and webpages to LibGuide format
- Evaluating analog reference tools to determine best options for future conversion into digital tools.
- Assisting with library services evaluation projects
Knowledge intern is expected to gain:
- Work experience in a unique, special collections library setting
- Familiarity with a variety of print and online reference tools and systems
- Increased knowledge about Minnesota History
- Increased awareness of genealogical research tools and techniques
- Experience with public and research services
Additional application requirements:
- Submit a 3-5 page writing sample.
To apply, please visit the Internship Program Application Process page.