Internship Title: Editorial Intern
Department: MHS Press/ Borealis Books
Supervisor: Managing Editor
Hours: 20 hours per week
Timeframe: Summer 2013 (June–August)
Location: Minnesota History Center, Saint Paul, MN
Project Summary: The MHS Press/Borealis Books Editorial Intern will assist the publishing staff in the areas of research, writing, editing, and administration. We offer an exciting opportunity to work with veteran staff willing to share their knowledge of the book industry and also provide unique and independent projects. The intern will be working in an office environment with a mix of computer and non-computer related work.
Ideal Degrees: English, history, or communications majors will be considered.
Student Qualifications: Graduate students or undergraduate seniors and juniors are encouraged to apply. The intern candidate should have creative research skills in both online and library environments; practical experience writing for a target audience and/or editing text for grammar and style; an interest in regional history. Top-notch organizational skills, the demonstrated ability to work independently, and an interest in the publishing industry are also highly sought after. Experience with Microsoft Office and the Google software suite are preferred.
- Meet with the editorial department to learn about department functions
- Conduct library and Internet research for craft project book linked to the region’s history
- Write introductions to fifteen craft projects based on research, in consultation with book’s author
- Explore the editorial process by having work edited/critiqued and by assisting with proofreading of other projects
- Conduct photo and art research for covers and interiors, including permissions and ordering
- Attend staff meetings and meet with the press director and other divisional staff to learn the business/overall strategic function
- Assist with stages of a book: review proposals, attend acquisitions meetings, discuss editorial and design issues, explore marketing/publicity opportunities
Knowledge intern is expected to gain:
- Knowledge of the MHS Press overall business, strategy, and function
- Experience in all aspects of working with the MHS Press
- Writing samples for student portfolio
- Writing samples
For more information or to apply, please visit the Internship Program Application Process page. Applications for this position close on April 14, 2013.