Supervisor: Reference Associate
Hours: 10 to 20 hours per week
Timeframe: Summer 2013 (June - August)
Location: Minnesota History Center, Saint Paul, MN
Status: Unpaid. (A limited number of stipends are available to students from communities of color who are underrepresented in the Society).
The Intern will assist in the day-to-day operations of the reference department and will work with staff to provide professional public services to MHS Library’s users.
Ideal degrees: Library science, history, or public history.
Graduate students studying library/information sciences or history will be considered. The successful candidate must have strong research, writing, and communications skills. A willingness to learn and to interact with a diverse population of researchers is also a necessity.
- Evaluating and updating existing reference tools
- Working at the Library’s Registration Desk
- Providing research services in answer to e-commerce requests
- Updating, revising, or creating History Topics subject guide content for online publication
- Depending on the intern’s interests/aptitudes and the Library’s current needs, the Reference Intern may also work on other projects. Possible projects may include:
- Answering reference questions submitted via email, phone, or mail
- Assisting with library services evaluation projects
- Participating in the creation of new reference tools
Knowledge intern is expected to gain:
- Work experience in a unique, special collection library setting
- Familiarity with a variety of print and online reference tools
- Experience providing public and research services
- Increased knowledge about Minnesota History
- Increased awareness of genealogical research tools and techniques
Additional application requirements:
- Submit a 3-5 page writing sample
For more information or to apply, please visit the Internship Program Application Process page. Applications for this position close on April 14, 2013.