FAMILY HISTORY RESEARCH
The Minnesota Historical Society has a variety of resources to help you learn about your family's history. Your research will be more productive and fun if you proceed in a systematic way.
Family History Research in 8 Easy Steps
- Step 1: Start with what you know.
- Step 2: Decide what fact(s) you want to find.
- Step 3: Determine the kind of record you need.
- Step 4: Record your results.
- Step 5: Decide what you want to find out next.
- Step 6: What you can do at home.
- Step 7: Read about the areas in which your ancestors lived.
- Step 8: Read about doing family research. Join a society.
Types of Records
There are a number of resources available to individuals interested in conducting family history research. In this section, Library staff have provided access to a large number of these Family History Resources.