TYPES OF FAMILY HISTORY RESOURCES
- Note: Adoption records are closed for 100 years from the date of adoption. Records less than 100 years old may be viewed only with a court order from the judge of the district court in which the adoption occurred.
- Adoption records are part of the civil case files in the district courts.
"Using Minnesota District Court
Records" provides more information on these records.
- Having trouble finding your county? Check out the District Court Civil Case Files list.
- Adoption records can be found as part of the case files of children
adopted from the Owatonna State Public School (OSPS). "Using
Owatonna State Public School Records" provides more information on
- Case files for students who were still under state guardianship when the OSPS closed in 1945 may not be in the MHS collections. A researcher may be able to locate extant files in the offices of the Minnesota Department of Human Services, Adoption Program (444 Lafayette Rd., St. Paul, MN 55155).