Get more informationRelated events Vertical TabsBackground The Milwaukee Road Depot at Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis, nicknamed "The Princess," because of its delicate gingerbread canopy, evokes the Victorian era when ladies in bustles and gentlemen in high collars traveled largely by train. It was built in 1875 to replace a smaller station on the first railroad line into the Twin Cities from Chicago, the Minnesota Central Railway (later the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway). In the Depot's early years, Minneapolis residents flocked to Minnehaha Park by train. Throngs of picnickers and sightseers took the 16-minute ride to Minnehaha Park and the old Longfellow Gardens Zoo, while others traveled to and from Fort Snelling and Mendota. In 1910 three trains made thirteen round trips daily to the Depot. The Milwaukee Road closed the station in August 1963 and presented it to the Minnesota Historical Society in 1964. It is managed by the Minnesota Transportation Museum. Images Minnehaha Depot Images Minnehaha Depot Images Minnehaha DepotDownload high-res image (736.15 KB) News Releases No releases exist.