For immediate release
MEDIA ALERT: Public Meetings Scheduled Statewide to Gather Input on the Name for Historic Fort Snelling
Now through Nov. 15, the public is invited to share input online at www.mnhs.org/naming on the name of Historic Fort Snelling, in light of the ongoing revitalization and expanded stories of history being shared there. In addition, today MNHS announced the location of six facilitated meetings held statewide that will help further the conversation:
- Monday, Sept. 30, 6-8 p.m., Saint Mary’s University-Rochester at Cascade Meadow
- Thursday, Oct. 3, 6-8 p.m., College of St. Scholastica, Duluth
- Monday, Oct. 7, 6-8 p.m., North Hennepin Community College, Brooklyn Park
- Thursday, Oct. 10, 6-8 p.m., Stearns History Museum, St. Cloud
- Monday, Oct. 14, 6-8 p.m., Northern Star Scouting Base Camp, St. Paul
- Thursday, Oct. 17, 6-8 p.m., Redwood Area Community Center, Redwood Falls
Specifically, the public is asked to comment on the name of the 23-acre MNHS historic site known as Historic Fort Snelling. The name of the restored 1820s fort structure, which sits on about 4 acres of the site will not change.
Following public input, the MNHS board will consider the findings and determine a course of action by early 2020. Should the board recommend a name change, it would then go to the Minnesota Legislature, which has final say over name changes for properties in the state’s historic sites network.
For more information, read the news release dated Aug. 21, 2019.