For immediate release
Jessica Kohen, Marketing and Communications, 651-259-3148, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Peck, Marketing and Communications, 651-259-3137, email@example.com
Beyond Bollywood: Exhibit Experience
“Beyond Bollywood: Indian Americans Shape the Nation,” April 30-July 10, 2016, Minnesota History Center features 24 panels created by the Smithsonian’s Asian Pacific American Center and the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, augmented with artifacts, oral histories, and personal reflections developed by the Minnesota Historical Society in collaboration with members of Minnesota’s Indian American community.
The exhibit is organized into three sections: Introduction, History and Arrival; Community and Culture; and Contributions. Visitors to the exhibit will encounter artifacts and experiences including:
- A welcome video with greetings from Minnesota’s diverse Indian community.
- An airplane setting where visitors hear Indian newcomers talking about traveling to and arriving in Minnesota.
- Three suitcases and a trunk that show examples of items immigrants brought with them to their new home, and how immigration changed from the 1960s to the present.
- Vibrant and colorful rangoli designs decorate the floor while beautiful saris hang from the ceiling.
- The kitchen of a contemporary Indian house in Minnesota where visitors will uncover stories of how families created their new home through festivals, holidays and food.
- A video that introduces visitors to Minnesota’s oldest Indian language school.
- Costumes and video from local dance troupes, a variety of musical instruments and displays of the sport of cricket and its Minnesota connection.
- A feature wall of Minnesota success stories from scientists to international journalists to dance troups with a national reputation.