For immediate release
Exhibit: “Up and Down: The H.H.H. Metrodome Portfolio”
Date: July 26-Nov. 6, 2016
Place: Mill City Museum, 704 South Second Street, Minneapolis, MN 55401
Cost: Free, does not include museum admission of $12 adults, $10 seniors and college students, $6 children ages 5-17, free for MNHS members
Hours: Tues-Sat, 10 am-5 pm; Sun noon-5 pm
Mill City Museum Exhibit ‘Up and Down: The H.H.H. Metrodome Portfolio’ Opens July 26
Photographer Mark E. Jensen’s Work Chronicles the Metrodome From Construction to Demolition
As the Minnesota Vikings and football fans alike eagerly await the opening of U.S. Bank Stadium this summer, visitors at Mill City Museum can view an exhibit exploring the history of the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome.
Home to the Vikings from 1982 to 2013, photographer Mark E. Jensen documented the Metrodome’s construction from 1980-1982 using a large format field camera patented in 1898. Then in 2014, he photographed the stadium’s demolition.The resulting pairs of black and white photographs chronicle not only the Metrodome’s life, but more than 30 years of change in downtown Minneapolis.
Mill City Museum will celebrate the exhibit’s opening with a public reception and remarks from Jensen on July 26 at 7 p.m. "Up and Down: The H.H.H. Metrodome Portfolio" is located in the museum’s Mill Commons, and is free and open to the public during regular museum hours. It will be on view July 26-Nov. 6, 2016.
Football fans can also mark their calendars for “Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame” at the Minnesota History Center, Sept. 24, 2016-Jan.15, 2017, and the MNHS Press book “U.S. Bank Stadium: The New Home of the Minnesota Vikings,” coming out November 15.
ABOUT MILL CITY MUSEUM
Built within the ruins of the Washburn A Mill, a National Historic Landmark, the award-winning Mill City Museum chronicles the flour milling industry that fueled the growth of Minneapolis. The story comes to life through the eight-story Flour Tower, Water Lab, Baking Lab and other hands-on exhibits.
The museum is located at 704 S. Second St. in Minneapolis. Hours are 10 am to 5 pm Tuesdays through Saturdays and noon to 5 pm Sundays. The site is also open Mondays 10 am to 5 pm in July and August. For more information, call 612-341-7555 or visit www.millcitymuseum.org.
The Minnesota Historical Society is a non-profit educational and cultural institution established in 1849. MNHS collects, preserves and tells the story of Minnesota’s past through museum exhibits, libraries and collections, historic sites, educational programs and book publishing. Using the power of history to transform lives, MNHS preserves our past, shares our state’s stories and connects people with history.
The Minnesota Historical Society is supported in part by its Premier Partners: Xcel Energy and Explore Minnesota Tourism.
Sloped girders, Metrodome construction, summer 1980Download high-res image (1.84 MB)
Girder demolition, Metrodome demoltion, March 14, 2014Download high-res image (1.06 MB)
Roof panel installation, Metrodome construction, fall 1981Download high-res image (640.47 KB)
Hanging roof panels, Metrodome demolition, January 30, 2014Download high-res image (634.57 KB)