For immediate release
Fall & Winter on the Oliver Kelley Farm
As fall arrives in Minnesota, visitors can celebrate the harvest season by helping bring in produce from the gardens and then heading to the kitchen to preserve food. Learn how the grain crop comes in from the fields and how the farm prepares for winter.
Fall and winter events and programs include:
- Threshers & Combines Weekend: September 2, 3 & 4, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., free with regular admission
Celebrate Labor Day weekend and help with the grain harvest using a historic horse-powered thresher and a modern combine.
- Prairie Sugar & Sweets Weekend: September 30 & October 1, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., free with regular admission
Turn sorghum into molasses like farmers did 150 years ago, then learn about how modern sugar beet crops become sugar and sample a variety of sweet treats.
- Harvest Days: October 19, 20, 21 & 22, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., free with regular admission
Experience the end of the harvest season in a festive atmosphere with a quilting bee, crafting corn husk dolls, picking the last of the produce and more.
- A Yankee Thanksgiving Tour: November 18 & 19, 1-4 p.m., $12/$10 MNHS members
Learn about preparations for an 1860s Thanksgiving celebration at the Historic Farmstead.
- Christmas on the Farm Tour: Dec. 9 & 10, 1-4 p.m., $12/$10 MNHS members
Discover how the Kelleys celebrated the holidays, including an outdoor bonfire, bobsled rides (snow permitting!) and sweet treats.
Starting in November, Oliver Kelley Farm closes for the season, but keep an eye out for special events on the MNHS calendar during the winter months.