Additional years added to Birth Index
1912 to 1916 Added to Birth
Five more years of records, 1912 through 1916, have been added to the Online Index to Birth Certificates. We're working hard to add more years. As in the past, you will be among the first to know when more data is added.
Researching Dakota Family History
A family history research tip
Researching an American Indian family history can have some special challenges. Some tips are:
- Start with a basic how-to genealogy book and ancestor chart or family group sheet.
- Do not focus just on Indian records; use everything available from the time period.
- Be prepared for more variance in names and spellings than with any other group.
- Fur trade records could be helpful.
- Use military records since Indians served in the military in many different wars.
- For member of tribes that are not federally-recognized, try the non-Indian census. The people may be listed, but a tribal affiliation will not be included.
- 1889 Census of Mdewakanton Sioux Living in Minnesota (a transcribed copy of the Henton/Hinton roll)
- Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940 (Microfilm M559)
- Selected Sioux Annuity and Census Rolls, 1849-1935 (Microfilm M405), including the 1885/86 McLeod Roll
- List of Indians Imprisoned at Rock Island/Pardoned at Davenport, Iowa, January 20, 1866
- List of Sioux Indians and Half-Breeds in Camp at Fort Snelling, 1862
- List of Sioux Scouts and Soldiers
- Register of Baptisms, Deaths, and Marriages Kept by Father Ravoux, 1841-44, 1847
- Episcopal Parish Record Books, 1856-1985
- Bishop Henry B. Whipple Records, 1859-1899
Take a Class on Dakota Family History
$8 for MHS/MGS members
$10 for non-members
Genealogy and Biography Sources at the Minnesota Historical Society Library
Learn how to research your family history from the experts!
Learn about the variety of materials that can be useful in researching your family history or finding biographical information regarding an individual. These sources include censuses, newspapers, birth and death records, manuscript collections, biography files, State Archives records, and much more. Join Brigid Shields, reference librarian, and discover the variety of materials that can be accessed in the Library's collections. $6 for MHS members; $8 for non-members
Newspapers Add Historic dimension to your family story
Extra! Extra! A newspaper front page from your ancestor's birth date adds more historic dimension to telling their story. Front pages can be produced from most Minnesota newspapers. They are available as scans to be included in your family story, or as black & white prints to give as a unique, commemorative gift for birthdays, wedding anniversaries. Learn more.