Mn/DOT Bridge Number: Bridge No. L-5853
Bridge Type: Reinforced concrete arch
City/Township: St. Paul
Crossing: Pedestrian bridge over streetcar right-of-way
Engineer: William S. Hewett
Contractor: William S. Hewett & Company, Minneapolis
Year Built: 1904
Overall Length: 88 feet
Overall Width: 17.5 feet
Adapted from the National Register of Historic Places nomination form prepared by Robert M. Frame III. Bridge No. L-5853 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Summary of Historic Significance
Bridge No. L-5853 is a Melan system, reinforced concrete, barrel-arch bridge. It is aligned on a north-south axis along an abandoned, east-west, street railway right-of-way located within the boundaries of Como Park. Bridge L-5853 is historically significant as an outstanding, virtually unaltered, extremely early example of a reinforced concrete arch bridge in Minnesota. Built in 1904, along with Bridge No. 92247, it is the second oldest known extant reinforced concrete arch bridge with documented construction dates in Minnesota. This bridge is also significant for employing the patented Melan reinforcing system. Finally, it is significant as the work of noted Minneapolis bridge builder, William S. Hewett.