Charles A. Lindbergh State Park WPA/Rustic Style historic resources include three buildings and three structures that are nominated as a historic district. The nine-acre historic district consists of a small concentrated use area that represents the sole development by the WPA. Architects for the park project were from both the National Park Service Central Design Office and the Design Office within the Minnesota Division of State Parks.
The park’s historic district includes these resources:
Charles A. Lindbergh State Park is the only state recreational facility constructed at a site that includes the home of a well-known individual. The WPA/Rustic Style historic resources in the park are architecturally significant as outstanding examples of Rustic Style log and stone design that have remained remarkably unchanged since construction. These buildings are characterized by nonintrusive and environmentally sensitive designs based on National Park Service design philosophy and master planning.
The park was established in 1931, when 110 acres were donated to the state in memory of Charles A. Lindbergh, Sr., by his family. Lindbergh was a progressive Republican Congressman who represented central Minnesota from 1907 to 1917. He was an unsuccessful candidate for governor in 1918, when he had the support of the Nonpartisan League (one of the forerunners of the Farmer Labor Party). Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr., world-renowned for his trans-Atlantic solo flight in 1927, ran the family farm from 1918 to 1920 on land that would eventually become the state park.
When WPA projects were being contemplated for the park, the Lindbergh family requested that development be kept to a minimum. As a result, intensive-use areas for swimming or camping were not constructed. WPA workers also restored furniture at the Lindbergh home in addition to park construction. The Lindbergh home is a National Historic Landmark.
For current information about Charles A. Lindbergh State Park, go to the DNR website.