Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo


History Center Museum
State Historic Sites
Minnesota Place Names
National Register of Historic Places

Shipwrecks
Bridges
State Parks
Landmarks

Other Places
 

Lake Shetek State Park
Descriptions of Selected Resources

Minnesota state parks contain a variety of historic properties. These images are representative of the Rustic Style historic resources built in Minnesota state parks.

Click to see larger image of Lake Shetek Beach House Beach House
Builder: WPA
Architect: Harold Petersen
Date: 1939-40

The Beach House is a rectangular structure located on a dramatic bluff high above Lake Shetek. The central section of the building, covered by a gabled roof, originally contained rest rooms, a concession, and storage rooms. This 43'6" x 22'6" section has flanking loggias that pass through the width of the building. Partially enclosed changing wings, 20' x 15', are placed on either side of the building. Counters were located on the lake facade for the concession and in the loggias for check-in purposes.

The Beach House building rests on low split stone walls, 2'6" high, followed by 10" rough clapboard siding in the central section and vertical board-and-batten siding in the changing wings. A 22' x 52' terrace overlooks Lake Shetek and features a split stone retaining wall. Curving 6'-wide stone stairways flank the terrace and descend 20' to the shore of Lake Shetek. The dramatic site and the careful composition of the stairways transform this standard beach house into a particularly notable design.

In 1960 the concession counter was removed and a door and windows were added. In 1964 a 23' x 26' addition was made to the rear of the structure, changing the building to a T-shaped configuration. The addition was built with stone and board-and-batten siding to match the original. This building is one of the few beach houses that retains the original changing wings.

Top of page

Click to see larger image of Lake Shetek Mess Hall Mess Hall
Builder: WPA
Architect: Harold Petersen
Date: 1940

The group camp Mess Hall consists of a T-shaped building containing a 60' x 20' dining room and a 20' x 21'6" extension for the kitchen. A massive split stone fireplace with a stone hearth is placed at the intersection of the T.

The building rests on a concrete foundation. Ventilation is provided by a series of 8" x 12" screened openings. Rough clapboard siding covers the building to the sill level and board-and-batten siding continues above. Nine-light casements are spaced along the facades of the dining room while six-light casements are employed in the kitchen wing. Entrances are located on the north, east and west facades of the dining room and on the south wall of the kitchen. The intersecting gabled roof has three ridge ventilators; two are above the dining room and one is above the kitchen. The interior features exposed trussed rafters.

Minor interior remodeling was completed in 1958.

Top of page