History Center Museum
State Historic Sites
National Register of Historic Places

Shipwrecks
Bridges
State Parks

Other Places
About MHSEvents & NewsLibrary & CollectionsMarketplaceMuseums & Historic PlacesPreserving Our PastSchool Resources
 

Ice and Wood House at Sibley State Park Sibley State Park
National Register Listing:
January 1992

Sibley State Park CCC/Rustic Style historic resources are located in a 41-acre historic district. The district encompasses a public use area of the park and two buildings in a service yard. Architects for the buildings were from the Central Design Office of the National Park Service.

The park’s historic district includes these resources:

Public Use Area
Shelter Pavilion
Pump House
Latrine
Drinking Fountains
Stone Steps
Bath House
Fish House
Ice and Wood House
Campground Shelter
Combination Building
Water Tower

Service Yard
Custodian's Cabin
Garage & Office

Historical Significance

When it first opened, Sibley State Park provided the most complete and extensive state-owned recreational facilities in central Minnesota. The labor-intensive process characteristic of Rustic Style construction was clearly apparent at Sibley State Park. State park records indicate that 75 percent of the masonry was unusable because the exceptional hardness of the local stone made splitting very difficult. The Rustic Style stone buildings in the public use area of the park are significant because they have remained remarkably unchanged since construction. Sibley State Park also provides a superlative example of master planning, as the clearly defined circulation patterns and functional areas along the shoreline of Lake Andrew help reduce congestion and overcrowding among picnickers, bathers and campers.

Park History

Sibley State Park was established in 1919, although a game reserve had been established on this site in 1917. Technically a state park, the area was maintained by county funds until the state assumed complete responsibility for its operation and development in 1935. CCC Camp SP-7, a camp for Veterans of World War I, first occupied the park on April 30, l935, and began the large-scale construction that we see today. The camp was located between the beach area and the campground, although there are no surviving buildings from the camp. After the development of the park was completed in 1938, the CCC camp moved to Itasca State Park, where it completed such notable stone buildings as the Forest Inn.

For current information about Sibley State Park, go to the DNR website.