Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo


History Center Museum
State Historic Sites
National Register of Historic Places

Shipwrecks
Bridges
State Parks

Other Places
 

Sibley State Park
Descriptions of Selected Resources

Minnesota state parks contain a variety of historic properties. These images are representative of the Rustic Style historic resources built in Minnesota state parks.

Ice and Wood House at Sibley State Park Ice and Wood House
Builder: CCC
Architects: G.C. Grover, E.W. Barber
Date: 1938

This building was originally called a Pump House and Service Building. It contained a wood storage area in the center that was flanked by an ice house to the south and a pump and generator room to the north. The overall dimensions of the structure are 44' x 19'. The building is constructed entirely of split stone except for the south gable, which contains rough 10" horizontal siding. Entrance to the wood storage area was gained through a large opening, while the entrances to the ice house and pump room contained plank doors with strap hinges. Two 4-light casements flank the entrance to the pump room and three 4-light casements are located on the south facade. The original floor of the ice house was sand, and the original floor of the wood storage area was dirt.

Top of page

Sibley State Park Combination Building Sibley State Park Combination Building
Builder: CCC
Architect: National Park Service
Date: 1937

This 46'6" x 29' building provides space for showers, rest rooms and a maintenance room, while an 18' x 15'8" extension to the north provides laundry facilities. The entire building is constructed of split-stone boulders except for the laundry, which is stone to the sill level and rough board-and-batten siding above. The gable areas are also finished with rough horizontal siding. Entrance porches with shed roofs, located on each of the principal facades, are supported by squared rough-hewn posts. The recessed entry on the west facade leads to either the men's showers or rest rooms, while the entrance on the east facade leads to the women's facilities. Windows are 4-light casements in the main section of the building and 6-light casements in the laundry wing.

Top of page