Especially For Kids
Historic Fort Snelling is a Wonderful Destination for Children!
School Tour Programs
Visit our Educational Field Trips page for more information.
Children’s Birthday Parties
Want to do something REALLY memorable for your child’s birthday? Host a Birthday Party at Historic Fort Snelling where your group will discover how children lived at the Fort in the early 19th century through a hands-on program designed for all ages to enjoy!
- A one-hour hands-on program with a costumed guide to explore early 1800s life at the Fort!
- Admission to Historic Fort Snelling for the entire day
- Parents may bring their own refreshments and enjoy them in private room in the fort
- Gift bags for partygoers are also available at the Fort gift shop.
- Pre-registration required. Contact: 612-725-2407 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Programs are available weekends in May, September and October and Monday through Sunday from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- Programs are booked at 10:30 and 1:30 M-Sat, 1:30 on Sundays.
Little House Party
Join the party and celebrate just like Laura did in the Little House books! Spend an hour with a costumed interpreter and enjoy a schoolhouse lesson, a Little House party activity, and games just like Laura played!
- Cost: $125 for up to 12 participants, $5/each additional person
Life of A Soldier
Sign on to join the 5th infantry at Fort Snelling during this fun, interactive lesson on life in the 1800’s army. New soldiers will enlist for this one-hour program with one of our officers. The new squad will then learn the basics of drill and military tactics on the parade ground before seeing a special demonstration of the flintlock musket.
- Cost: $125 for 12 participants, $5/each additional person.
School Age Care Programs
Fort Snelling Kids Club
Bring your school-age care groups to Historic Fort Snelling this summer and participate in a History Hunt in order to become members of the Fort Snelling Kids Club!
Each group receives a History Hunt sheet leading them on a journey of hands-on discovery, exploration and fun!
While they are there, they’ll want to drill with the soldiers and watch the cannon firings too!
- Fee: $5 per person
- Pre-registration recommended - call 612-725-2407
- Each group receives an award for participating
- Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (except holidays) June, July & August
- Picnic area available
- Free parking
- Fort Snelling State Park within easy walking distance
Visit the Sibley House, too!
Experience the life described in Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Little House series
books. Based in the 1840s officers quarters of Historic Fort Snelling, campers
sing the songs, play the games and make the food and crafts that Wilder learned
while growing up on the western frontier in the 19th century.
Each camp focuses on four of the books in the series and includes a food project, cooking, sewing, music, stories, and games described in the books. Some camps include a one-room schoolhouse experience.
2011 Camp Schedule
- Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Full Day Camps)
- Cost: $235/$210 (MHS members) per child ($150/$135 per child for two day camps)
- Pre-registration required. Call 612-726-1171 or register online.
Gift Shops are located in the Fort Snelling History Center and the historic fort. Maps of the early fort, books for all ages, interesting foods and frontier era toys are well-represented in our main shop. At the historic fort, you can purchase historic reproductions, such as tinware or rock candy and enjoy a cold root beer.