Built to house two companies (around 80 enlisted men) of the Fifth U.S. Infantry, the barracks had 10 squad rooms and several kitchens in the basement. Enlisted soldiers slept two men to a bunk in the early 19th century, and 11 or 12 men shared each room. Extra rooms were used for storage of company property and to house laundresses and their families in shared quarters.
The Stone Barracks housed troops until 1885 when the fort was used as an ordnance depot. The once substantial, but increasingly decrepit, structure was demolished in 1903.
Tour guides in 1820s uniforms and the garb of laundresses interpret life in the barracks. In the kitchens below, cooks prepare meals and Army musicians - fifers and drummers - show visitors their cellar quarters.