Built during the last half of 1825 and destroyed prior to 1878, the Gatehouse attractively marked the main sally port of Fort Snelling. The circular opening above the gate may have housed a painted emblem, or perhaps a carved eagle like was used at 1830s Fort Winnebago in Wisconsin. Guards in the Gatehouse checked all who passed. After dark, the main gates were shut and only a small door was used by soldiers returning from pass or duty outside the walls.
An 1820s infantryman – wearing a woolen coat and leather bell crowned cap and carrying a flint lock musket – is now posted here on “guard duty” to greet Historic Fort Snelling’s many visitors.