Orren "Pete" Young
Orren "Pete" Young was the first head light keeper at Split Rock Light Station. When the station was commissioned in 1910, he lived in the home closest to the light tower. His wife and four children came for long visits to the station but never lived there permanently.
In the later years of his career, they lived in a year-round home 20 miles
south of Split Rock in Two Harbors. Young retired at the mandatory age
of 70 in 1928, after 18 years as the head light keeper.
Franklin Covell was promoted from the first assistant's job to head keeper upon Young's retirement. He had earlier served as an assistant off and on at Split Rock, and several other lighthouses on Lake Superior.
When he was promoted, Covell and his family were living in the middle house, and chose to stay there rather than moving one door over, into the head keeper's residence. Covell served as head keeper for 15 years, also retiring at 70, in 1944. By retirement, he'd spent 24 seasons as a keeper at Split Rock.