Research & Development
The Conservation Department researches and develops guidelines and methods to meet storage, display, treatment, and other institutional needs. Because other museum, library, and archive professionals may find this research and development helpful, several projects are described here. If you have questions or would like more information on any of these, email us at email@example.com.
Projects of Interest:
Files are in Adobe PDF.
- Ancker nursing dolls conservation project
- Bandolier Storage Project
- Basic Display Checklist (PDF)
- Caring for Large Functional Objects (PDF)
- Conservation of Archaeological Shell
Originally published in the Conservation Notes, Number 22, September 1997.
- Conserving your composition doll
- Contaminated Holding Policy
- Creating Your Own Time Capsule
- Doll Conservation: Advanced Treatments
Originally published in the New Zealand Doll Federation Newsletter, Volume 1, issue 4, March 2003, Autumn Edition.
- Emergency Preparedness Plan
- Environmental Monitoring & Control
- Exhibits and Storage Materials Handbook
- Field and Laboratory Methods for Handling Osseous Materials
- Guidlines for Identifying Damaged Books
- Guidelines For Selecting and Preserving Items in a Time Capsule
- Housekeeping Manual[PDF]
- Integrated Pest Management Program
- Krutina Furnishing Suite Tacking Edge Analysis
- Long-Range Preservation Plan (Minnesota Historical Society, 2012)
- Man's shirt constructed by Anna Pers-Dotter Larson, ca. 1880s
- A New Material for Producing
Faux Tortoise Shell Fills
As published by the Wooden Artifacts Group in Postprints, June 2002.
- Padded Hangers: Directions for Making a Padded Hanger
- Post-acquisition/Pre-storage Treatment of Large Functional Objects
- Ramsey House Revitalization Project
- Selecting Storage Supplies
- Shoe Storage Trays
- Short Communication: An Alternative Technique for Applying Accession Numbers to Museum Artifacts.[PDF]
Originally published in the Journal of the American Institute of Conservation, Summer 2007, Volume 46.
- Sibley Presentation Sword
- Storage for Textiles (PDF)
- The Storage of Art on Paper
Copyright 2001 by the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. Reprinted with permission. Purchasing information for this publication is available at: http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/puboff/catalog/op/210.html.
- Ten Years of Sculpture and Monument Conservation
on the Minnesota State Capitol Mall
As published in: Objects Specialty Group Postprints, Volume 9, 2002, Proceedings of the Objects Specialty Group Session, AIC.
AIC Publication Catalog