Getaways
map of Minnesota
Select an area of the state to view sites
1910s: Kitchi Gammi Club

Location: 831 E. Superior St., Duluth, St. Louis County
Built: 1913
Architect: Cram, Goodhue, and Ferguson
Listed on NRHP: April 16, 1975

Incorporated in 1883, the Kitchi Gammi Club was one of the first social clubs of its kind in Minnesota. Named after the Ojibwe term for Lake Superior, the club was organized for prominent businessmen in northeastern Minnesota, many of whom had made their fortunes in the iron ore industry. Business deals struck at the club by such power brokers as U.S. Steel's J. P. Morgan or Hanna Mining's H. P. Hanna had impact far beyond the walls of this all-male club. Although the club has expanded its membership over the last several decades, it still symbolizes an exclusive haven for Minnesota's elite.

Outgrowing previous clubhouses, the Kitchi Gammi Club moved into this three-and-one-half-story, brick-and-stone building in 1913. Designed by Bertram G. Goodhue, the imposing structure embodies both the Gothic and Georgian revival styles. Lavish materials on the exterior and interior, including carved stone window and door surrounds and imported woods from England and Australia, contribute to the clubhouse's prominence in the community.




 Minnesota Historical Society· 345 W. Kellogg Blvd.,
 St. Paul, MN 55102-1906·651-259-3000  Copyright ©  2007. Send questions/comments to Webmaster@mnhs.org


Click to go to larger photo of Kitchi Gammi Club.
Click to go to larger photo of Kitchi Gammi Club interior.
MNHS logo
Minnesota Historical Society MHS Home SHPO Home