Getaways
map of Minnesota
Select an area of the state to view sites
1910s: Burntside Lodge Historic District

Location: Off St. Louis Co. Hwy 88, Morse Township, St. Louis County
Built: 1914
Builder: Local Finnish craftsmen
Listed on NRHP: June 23, 1988

Burntside Lodge traces its beginnings to the Ely-Burntside Outing Company, established in 1911 by Thomas Miller and Phineas Terry Brownell, a longtime Ely merchant. Their new company served the growing numbers of recreational tourists who flocked to the area in the early 1900s, when the Duluth & Iron Range Railroad reached the region and a road link and bridge were completed across the Burntside River.

Located on a portage between Burntside River and Burntside Lake, the lodge is the earliest full-scale commercial resort operation in St. Louis County. It contains the largest and finest collection of log resort buildings in the region – all built by local craftsmen and of local materials. The main lodge, housing 14 sleeping rooms, was constructed in 1914 by Ely contractors Meitunen and Peterson. During that first season, Burntside Lodge catered to motorists by providing a 10,000-square-foot garage to store their vehicles while the vacationers relaxed at the resort. By its heyday in the 1930s and 1940s, Burntside Lodge had added 44 cabins. Today it retains much of the charm that has attracted guests for more than 80 years.




 Minnesota Historical Society· 345 W. Kellogg Blvd.,
 St. Paul, MN 55102-1906·651-259-3000  Copyright ©  2007. Send questions/comments to Webmaster@mnhs.org


Click to go to larger photo of Burntside main lodge.
Click to go to larger photo of Burntside Lodge cabin.
Click to go to larger photo of Burntside Lodge.
MNHS logo
Minnesota Historical Society MHS Home SHPO Home