Sampler
map of Minnesota
Select an area of the state to view sites
Courthouses: Sibley County Courthouse

Location: Main Street, Henderson, Sibley County
Built: 1879
Architect: Frank Barnard
Listed on NRHP: July 02, 1979

Henderson, the Sibley County seat until 1915, boasted the county's first permanent courthouse. This two-story Italianate structure, built of locally manufactured yellow brick on a Kasota stone foundation, reflects the elaborate architecture popular at the time. Although the original cupola and five of the six original chimneys have been removed, the building retains many elements characteristic of the Italianate style: attenuated window openings, low bracketed gables over the central bays and decorative stone elements on the windows, doorways and dentilated cornice. This decorative style would eventually give way to the more reserved Greek and Classical revival styles later favored for public buildings.

Today the building serves as Henderson's city hall and houses the J. R. Brown Interpretive Center.




 Minnesota Historical Society· 345 W. Kellogg Blvd.,
 St. Paul, MN 55102-1906·651-259-3000  Copyright ©  2007. Send questions/comments to Webmaster@mnhs.org


Click to go to larger photo of Sibley County Courthouse (Henderson).
Click to go to larger photo of Sibley County Courthouse (Gaylord).
MNHS logo
Minnesota Historical Society MHS Home SHPO Home