Iron Range
map of Minnesota
Select an area of the state to view sites
Water Transportation: William A. Irvin (freighter)

Location: Minnesota Slip, Duluth Harbor, Duluth, St. Louis County
Built: 1938
Architect: American Ship Building Company
Builder: American Ship Building Company, Loraine, Ohio, for the Pittsburgh Steamship Company/U.S. Steel
Listed on NRHP: July 13, 1989

The bulk freighter William A. Irvin played a significant role in transporting both iron ore and coal between Minnesota ports on Lake Superior and ports along the southern shores of lakes Michigan, Huron and Erie. Named for a president of U.S. Steel, the freighter was known as the “Pride of the Silver Stackers” – a reference to the trademark black-banded smokestacks of U.S. Steel's Great Lakes fleet.

The Irvin was the first major bulk freighter built on the Great Lakes after the Depression. At a time when freighter design had become highly standardized, the Irvin incorporated many new technologies, including a cross-compound turbine engine, steel hatch covers operated by a special deck crane and steel joints that were electronically welded rather than riveted. Alone among the fleet, the Irvin also had staterooms, a dining room and an observation deck. These amenities allowed U.S. Steel to thank wealthy customers and attract new investors during excursions that featured shuffleboard, kite flying and a driving range for golfers.

The William A. Irvin retired from active service in 1978. It was renovated and opened as a floating museum in Duluth in 1986.




 Minnesota Historical Society· 345 W. Kellogg Blvd.,
 St. Paul, MN 55102-1906·651-259-3000  Copyright ©  2007. Send questions/comments to Webmaster@mnhs.org


Click to go to larger photo of freighter William A. Irvin.
Click to go to larger photo of freighter William A. Irvin interior.
MNHS logo
Minnesota Historical Society MHS Home SHPO Home