Getaways
map of Minnesota
Select an area of the state to view sites
1870s: Mitchell Saloon (in Wykoff Commercial Historic District)

Location: 100 Gold St. S., Wykoff, Fillmore County
Built: 1876
Builder: John Mitchell
Listed on NRHP: August 05, 1994

Platted in 1871 by a townsite company associated with the Southern Minnesota Railroad, Wykoff quickly became southeastern Minnesota's main commercial center, surpassing the village of Fillmore on the stage line five miles to the north. By the early 1890s, Wykoff boasted at least four general stores, three carriage shops, two hardware stores, two drugstores, a bank and the Mitchell Saloon.

Built by John Mitchell in 1876, the two-story, gable-roofed, wood-frame saloon is typical of many commercial establishments of the late 19th century. The storefront includes a canted doorway with transom light and two large plate-glass display windows protected by a canvas awning. The second-story facade is perforated by two double-hung windows and a small arched louver, all capped by decorative drip moldings.

The Mitchell Saloon is the earliest extant building in the Wykoff Commercial Historic District. The building remained a saloon until the 1910s, when it was converted into a grocery and general goods store. In 1933 Edwin Krueger bought the building and opened a Jack Sprat Food Store, part of a national chain. After his death in 1989, Krueger's store and everything in it was donated for use as a museum.




 Minnesota Historical Society· 345 W. Kellogg Blvd.,
 St. Paul, MN 55102-1906·651-259-3000  Copyright ©  2007. Send questions/comments to Webmaster@mnhs.org


Click to go to larger photo of Mitchell Saloon.
MNHS logo
Minnesota Historical Society MHS Home SHPO Home