History Day Handouts
Use these helpful handouts to guide your historical research and organizational process this year.
Organizing Your Information:
- Thesis Statement Dos & Don'ts
- Thesis Statement Dos & Don'ts - Junior
- Bibliographies Made Easy
- Process Paper Outline
We are very pleased to report that the Council of Regional Public Library Systems has renewed their partnership with Minnesota History Day to support Library Field Trips and student research support services. This means that you will be able to arrange subsidized field trips to public and academic libraries and take advantage of research open house (“Hullabaloo”) events with your students.
Please refer to the Library Funding document to find out more about the process.
There is also a Program Approval Form that needs to be submitted before you can access these funds.
Please direct questions to Laura Zeccardi at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651)259-3439
History Day Hullabaloos
A History Day Hullabaloo is an opportunity for enthusiastic History Day students to gather for several hours at a host library to conduct primary and secondary research with the guidance of library staff, get one-on-one help from a History Day staff member or undergraduate mentor, attend power conferences on a range of topics, view sample projects, and generally get pumped up about your History Day project!
Metro Area Hullabaloos:
Gopherbaloo at Wilson Library, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
- January 14, 2012, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Hullaballoo at the Central Library, Minneapolis
- December 10, 2011, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- January 21, 2012, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- February 4, 2012, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Hullabaloo at Carver County Library - Chaska
- December 20, 2011, 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Hullabaloo at Carvery County Library - Chanhassen
- January 5, 2012, 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Hullabaloo at the Ridgedale Library, Minnetonka
- January 23, 2012, 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Hullaballoo at the Central Library, St. Paul
- February 11, 2012, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
St. Paul History Day Help Sessions
St. Paul's Central Library will be holding History Day help sessions throughout January and February. Located in the computer classroom on the 4th floor, the History Day staff and eager librarians will be ready to help. So if you are still searching for that perfect source or would like help revising a thesis statement come join us!
- January 9, 2012, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- February 6, 2012, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- February 27, 2012, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Greater minnesota Hullabaloos:
Hullabaloos at Rochester Public Library, Rochester
- January 14, 2012, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Hullabaloo at Duluth Public Library Main Branch, Duluth
- January 21, 2012, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Hullabaloo at Cathedral High School, New Ulm
- January 28, 2012, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Hullabaloo at St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud
- January 28, 2012, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Hullabaloo at University of Minnesota - Duluth
- February 25, 2012, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Looking for a Minnesota Topic?
Places to go to help you get started
Do you have questions about topics, research or rules, or would you like expert research assistance at the University of Minnesota?
- History Day Hot Line: E-mail email@example.com
History Day Help Desk - If you are doing History Day research on a Minnesota history topic or need help with your research, or help discussing topics or presentations, visit the Help Desk in the library at the Minnesota Historical Society's History Center.
- History Day program assistants are available to help on Tuesdays from 5 to 8 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 4 p.m. Questions or for more information call 651-259-3439.
Planning a field trip to the Minnesota Historical Society's History Center Library?
These lessons include interactive activities that will help sharpen students' skills as history detectives and develop the tools they will need in researching, organizing and presenting History Day projects.
Teachers, look for the "Teacher Resources" button for each lesson so you can find classroom suggestions and handouts for printing.