Minnesota Communities
  Hibbing  |  Red Wing  |  St. Anthony  |  People  |  Occupations  |  Landscapes  |  Milestones  |  Timelines  |  Tours  
Home / Hibbing / Milestones / Dangers of Mining / Article About a Cave-in / Transcription
Welcome to Minnesota Communities

    primary sources
    contact us

Dangers of Mining

Title: Article About a Cave-in
Type: Newspaper
Date: November 29, 1903
Source: Mesaba Ore & Hibbing News

Description: This article describes a cave-in that occured at one of the mines.



One man Killed and Two Injured by a Slump Rock slide. of Frozen Earth.

Peter Augusteno was instantly killed and John Whelan and James Morone were injured by a fall of ground at the Stevenson mine, at about 2:30 o'clock Thursday morning.

The remains of Augusteno were brought to Barrett's morgue and prepared for burial. Whelan and Morone were taken to the Rood hospital, where they are resting comfortably.

The manner of the accident was peculiar. The men were employed by the Drake & Stratton company on a stripping contract. The steam shovel in use on that part of the work was out of repair, and the dipper Bucket on a steam shovel. was resting on the ground. Whelan is a steam shovel engineer and was working about the dipper; the other two men were assisting with the work ahead of the shovel, when without warning the bank Mound of earth surrounding the pit. in which the shovel had been digging came away, completely burying all three. The alarm was promptly responded to and soon a large force of men was at work extricating Freeing. the luckless men, and it was fully two and one-half hours before the lifeless body of Augusteno was taken out.

Augusteno was found near the shovel dipper, face down, and pinned to the ground by a piece of frozen earth weighing several tons. He was about 30 years of age and has a brother in Brooklyn, New York, who has been advised of the tragic death, and who will come on here to take charge of the remains.

Whelan was buried under the loose earth, but was struck by a piece of frozen ground, and his clavicle was fractured. His injury will confine him for a month or more.

Morone suffered a compound fracture of both bones of the left forearm, and his leags were somewhat bruised. The surgeons found it necesary to remove a portion of the bones, and it is likely permanent disfigurement will result.

The cause for the caving of the ground is assigned to a small pocket of quicksand, which had been cut by the steam shovel just previous to its disability.