State Historic Preservation Office

Pine-Hickory Lakes Roadside Parking Area

Name of Property: Pine-Hickory Lakes Roadside Parking Area
City or Vicinity: Farm Island Township
County: Aitkin County
State: MN
Name of Photographer: Scott Kelly
Dates of Photographs: October 2014 and June 2015

Documentation (PDF)

This photo looks from northwest to southeast across the center of the wayside rest. It shows Highway 169 bisecting the site. Hickory Lake is in the distance (facing southeast, October 2014).

The center of the site has mowed turf and groups of native trees in naturalistic patterns. The East Council Ring, at center, is the only stone feature visible from the highway. The main entrance to the east half of the site is in the right center of the photo near the steel sign (facing south, June 2015).

The East Parking Area and Hickory Lake (facing east, June 2015).

In 1958 concrete bollards were placed around the East Parking Area. It was originally edged with a Rustic style wooden guardrail (facing west, June 2015).

Looking across Highway 169 to the West Parking Area and Little Pine Lake. In 1958 the West Parking Area was paved with bituminous for the first time and partly outlined with concrete bollards, seen at left center, which replaced wooden guardrail (facing northwest, October 2014).

Picnic table in mowed turf area south of the West Parking Area, just north of the swimming beach. Historically there was probably a portable log and plank table at this location (facing north, June 2015).

The swimming beach. (Note towels; swimmers are out of sight.) The Ripple River, which links Little Pine and Hickory lakes, and the Culvert (Bridge 3911) are about 350' south of the beach (obscured by trees near the center of the photo) (facing south, June 2015).

South side of the East Council Ring and, in the upper right quadrant, the entrance to the east half of the site (facing south, June 2015).

The East Council Ring, which is located at the north end of the South Picnic Area (facing north, June 2015).

Typical landscape view near the center of the east side of the site. The Scenic Overlook is in the distance at the center of the photo (facing southeast, June 2015).

The Scenic Overlook on a rise overlooking Hickory Lake. It has a somewhat rectangular plan with a pedestrian opening (near the center of this view). It stands in a grassy area that is occasionally mowed (facing southeast, October 2014).

The lake side of the Scenic Overlook has a projecting curved lookout bay (facing southwest, June 2015).

The west half of the Scenic Overlook. The stones on all of the structures at the site were chosen and placed for visual interest; the quality of the masonry work is high (facing north, June 2015).

The Scenic Overlook and its entrance. The mortared fire ring was added at an unknown date (perhaps the 1960s) (facing north, June 2015).

The footpath, northeast of the Scenic Overlook, that follows the shore of Hickory Lake (facing northeast, June 2015).

Overgrown picnic spot northwest of the Scenic Overlook in the southwest end of the East Picnic Area. At the base of the clump of young birch in the upper left quadrant of the photo is the remnant of a mortared stone fireplace (see Photos 21 and 22 for intact versions) (facing northwest, June 2015).

The remnant of a different mortared stone fireplace located near the south end of the East Picnic Area (facing north, June 2015).

Mortared stone Refuse Container for burning picnic trash. Located along the footpath near the shore of Hickory Lake in the East Picnic Area (facing north, June 2015).

Interior of the Refuse Container with its ash grate (facing north, June 2015).

The footpath along Little Pine Lake in the West Picnic Area (facing south, June 2015).

The West Fireplace, a mortared stone structure only missing its metal grill. It is located near the south end of the West Picnic Area (facing north, June 2015).

The North Fireplace. It is located near the north end of the West Picnic Area (facing west, June 2015).

The West Council Ring, sited on a point of land at the extreme northwest corner of the property (facing north, June 2015).

Detail of the West Council Ring with Little Pine Lake in the distance (facing west, June 2015).

The west (upstream) side of the Dam Ruins near the south end of the site (facing east, June 2015).

The intact west side of the Culvert (Bridge 3911) on the shore of Little Pine Lake in the south part of the site. It is a double box culvert built in 1923 to carry the highway over the creek (facing east, June 2015).

The east end of the Culvert, added in 1964 when the highway was shifted to the east by 30' which required that the culvert be lengthened by the same amount. The east end lacks the beauty of the west end (Photo 26) but has a simple design that is not visually disruptive to the site (facing north, June 2015).