Reuse Study assistance program
NOTE: Currently, funding is not available for the Reuse Study Assistance Program. We encourage you to apply for funding through the Minnesota Historical and Cultural Heritage Grant program or through the Certified Local Government Grant program.
Each year the Minnesota SHPO works with a number of partners on reuse studies for selected properties. Priority is given to projects in which a reuse study will likely reverse a threatening situation for an endangered property while increasing a community's awareness of the importance of its historic resources. When funding levels permit, a pool of funds from the SHPO's annual federal appropriation is set aside to assist in sponsoring these studies. Grants of up to $5,000 may be awarded.
- The property must be threatened, vacant or underused, and must be listed on or eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
- The applicant must be a unit of government, public agency or nonprofit organization willing to host the reuse study team, facilitate the information-gathering process, and assist in the preparation and presentation of the report. Matching funds and/or services are required.
- The applicant must demonstrate an ability and commitment to implement recommendations made in the study.
How to Apply
Letters requesting a reuse study matching grant may be submitted at any time during the year and will be reviewed as they are received. Letters of application should:
- address the review criteria listed above, and
- summarize information about the property to be examined, including ownership. Consent of the property owner is required to give reuse study team members access to the property.
Send inquiries and letters of application to:
Barbara Howard, Deputy SHPO
Minnesota State Historic Preservation Office
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd. W.
St. Paul, MN 55102