For immediate release
MEDIA ALERT: Minnesota History Day Regional Competitions Move Online Due to COVID-19 Concerns
Updated March 23, 2020: The State History Day competition will be virtual rather than in person on Saturday, May 2.
To ensure the safety of students, teachers, judges and staff, the Minnesota Historical Society has made the difficult decision to suspend remaining in-person regional History Day competitions and move them to a virtual format.
MNHS decided this in light of concerns about large public gatherings, including the University of Minnesota’s decision today to move in-person instruction online. In recent weeks, several other National History Day programs across the country have moved to virtual contests.
The following contests will no longer take place in person:
- Metro Junior West, March 12, Central Middle School, Eden Prairie
- Southeast, March 17, Winona State University
- Metro Junior Central, March 19, Augsburg University
- Minneapolis Public Schools, March 21, Anwatin Middle School
- West Central, March 23, Minnesota State University Moorhead
- South Central, March 23, Minnesota State University Mankato
- St. Paul Public Schools, March 26, Washington Technology Magnet School
- Metro Junior East, March 28, White Bear Lake High School
- Central, March 28, St. Cloud State University
MNHS History Day staff is planning virtual contest logistics and will have additional information to students, teachers, judges and parents by the end of the week.
At this time, the State History Day competition will also move online on Saturday, May 2, at the University of Minnesota. No decisions have been made about the national contest in Washington, D.C., in June.
Visit mnhs.org/historyday for more information.
General MNHS Operations
MNHS is closely monitoring developments related to COVID-19 and is in regular contact with state and federal health officials. All MNHS historic sites and museums remain open to the public during regular business hours. MNHS is evaluating the cancellation or postponement of scheduled programs and events on a case-by-case basis.
Cleaning crews are taking extra measures to disinfect high-touch and high-traffic areas. Additional hand sanitizer is also available at all locations.
Current COVID-19 information is available on our website at mnhs.org/covid-19. MNHS staff is evaluating response plans daily, and we will quickly communicate any changes as they occur.