Bring your students’ Northern Lights history curriculum to life with a fully funded, customizable field trip where you can visit up to four MNHS historic sites. Field trips may be completed in two days with an overnight, or on one extended day.
- Students attending are in sixth grade and use the Northern Lights curriculum.
- Field trips are taken to at least three MNHS historic sites or museums on a single trip, either one extended day or two consecutive days with an overnight stay.
- All participating social studies teachers must engage in an online professional development experience consisting of reflective tasks and an interactive webinar (approximately 5 hours).
If your class is not eligible, please visit our scholarships, grants, and subsidies page to see other financial assistance available.
How it works
- Funding covers field trip costs, including site admission, bus transportation, substitute teacher(s) expense, and hotel (if applicable).
- Overnight trips may include up to 50 students and there must be a chaperone ratio of 1:10 (including teachers). Student attendance limitations may not apply to single-day trips.
- Funds are limited and will be awarded based on the merits of the submitted application.
- Selection criteria may include economic factors. Schools with the ability to pay a portion of the field trip expenses are encouraged to do so.
- Schools may apply annually; schools who have not participated in the past will receive priority placement in the selection process.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, applications for this program are currently closed. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Northern Lights extended field trip examples
A field trip through this program includes visits to three or four historic sites in any order, based on a school’s location. There are many field trip loop possibilities, depending on desired locations and thematic connections that best support curricular goals. Examples include, but are not limited to, the sample loops below. Be sure to consider all of the MNHS historic sites and museums available for field trip visits.