Home / Collections / About the Collections / Archaeology / Research Access to Collections

Research Access to the Collections

Collections Department staff and Archaeology Department staff require adequate lead-time to, provide physical access to collections and respond to research queries. Certain collections also have restricted or limited access, so be prepared to demonstrate that access to these materials is crucial to your research.

Minnesota History Center

For access to archaeology collections housed in the main repository facility at the Minnesota History Center, a lead-time of two weeks is generally requested, depending upon the nature of the request. Research visits are also generally limited to the first Thursday and Friday of every month and the third Thursday and Friday of every month. Submit a Request to Access Collections form and contact Dan Cagley at 651-296-0147 or by e-mail at daniel.cagley@mnhs.org to arrange an appointment. When you call, be as specific as you can be about the site material you need to examine and the accession numbers or any other data that can reduce the level of research required by MHS staff.

Fort Snelling

At the present time, the University of Minnesota collections are housed in the Archaeology Department at the Fort Snelling History Center. The collections are awaiting processing and integration into MHS collections, which will take several years. To access these collections, please allow a few weeks of lead time. Submit a "Request to Access Collections form and Contact Pat Emerson, Head of Archaeology, at 612-725-2410 or by e-mail at patricia.emerson@mnhs.org to arrange an appointment. When you call, be as specific as you can be about the site material you need to examine.

Collections of the Institute for Minnesota Archaeology are held by the Office of the State Arcaheologist and housed at Fort Snelling. For questions regarding access to these collections please contact bruce.koenen@state.mn.us.

The Archaeology Department also houses wide range of comparative materials If you need access to materials or records from these sites or to the comparative collections, contact the Head of Archaeology.

Requests for archaeology collections research at the users facility follows MHS loan procedure.

If you have questions about loans, please contact the Central Registrar.