Hold your next meeting, lecture, class, concert, reception, luncheon, or dinner at the James J. Hill House.
- Monday - Tuesday: 8 am-11 pm
- Wednesday - Sunday: 6 pm -11 pm
The fee for an event is based on day, time, length, size, set-up needs, and type of function. Fees range from $150 for small weekday meetings to $2,000 for large evening receptions and dinners.
- The music room, drawing room, first floor hallway
- Meeting rooms on the second and third floors
- The picture gallery is available for concert performances
- The exterior terraces (available in warmer weather)
Other historic rooms are open for guests to see as part of your event.
- Seated dinners: 120 people maximum using both the music room and drawing room
- Theater seating: 120 people maximum using the drawing room or picture gallery
- Receptions: 400 people maximum using first floor hallway and adjacent rooms
- Guides are scheduled for all rentals at a ratio of one guide for every 25 guests.
- They are available to provide visitor services and offer 30- to 60-minute tours of the home.
- Event staffing also includes a manager.
Food and drink
- Catered events are welcome. Alcohol may only be served by a caterer with a valid liquor license.
- Menus must avoid foods that would easily stain or damage the historic interiors. Red wine and chocolate fountains are not permitted.
- A pantry work area is available, but cooking is not allowed on the premises.
- Catering staff are responsible for removing all trash and leaving the site in a clean, orderly state. Catering equipment may not be delivered the day before or left overnight after an event. The event user selects and pays for all catering costs.
- Smoking is not allowed inside the house.
Decorations and signs
No signs or decorations may be placed on historic furnishings, woodwork, or surfaces. Lit candles and decorations with glitter are not allowed. Please contact us with any questions about special decorations or signs.
Street parking is available along Summit Avenue in front of the Hill House. Parking is not allowed on the Hill House property except for catering vehicles parked behind the site.
The Hill House will provide tables, chairs, and standard A/V and meeting equipment:
- 140 folding chairs (fabric padded seats and backs)
- 12 folding tables (30" x 72")
- 15 round banquet tables (60"/seat 8)
- TV/VCR/DVD with speakers
- Podium with microphone and lamp
- Slide, overhead and LCD projectors, and screens
- Flip charts, whiteboards, and blackboards
- Four music stands with lamps
- Hand-held microphone and general public-address system
- Capacity: Maximum 120 people.
- Organ: A restored pipe organ located in the art gallery may be played by a professional organist as part of an event.
- Piano: The Hill House can accommodate a rental piano. A Steinway grand piano is available.
- Receptions: Pre/post-concert receptions may be held for an additional fee. Event users may contract with solo musicians and small ensembles.
- Tours: Audience members may tour the Hill House at no additional charge.
- Fee: $1,000 base rental fee per performance.
- Box Office: User determines ticket price and retains all proceeds. Hill House staff can handle telephone reservations and box office responsibilities, if desired. (Audience members typically pay with cash or check.)
- Publicity: Concerts will be listed on Hill House promotional material when possible and if Minnesota Historical Society members are offered a minimum $2 discount on the ticket price.
“The acoustics are great, the staff is helpful and the setting is warm and inviting. Our audiences love the combination of music followed by tours of the house.”
- Lenore Weir, Classic Sounds
To schedule an event at the Hill House, please contact: