The Gale Family Library is happy to announce that we are fully open to both advance and walk-in research appointments.
Advance appointments are strongly recommended, but they are not required. Library staff are currently also assisting researchers via the phone, distance services, website, and email.
Holidays and Special Hours
- Friday, November 11: Open regular hours (10am to 4pm)
- Thursday, November 24 (Thanksgiving Day): Closed
- Friday, November 25: Closed
- Saturday, November 26: Open regular hours (10am to 4pm)
- Not required, but are strongly recommended
- Offered when the library is open to the public:
- Thursday afternoons (1pm to 4pm)
- Friday mornings and afternoons (10am to 4pm)
- Saturday mornings and afternoons (10am to 4pm)
- Made online or by phone in advance or on-site as a walk-in appointment.
- 3 hours long: 10am to 1pm in the mornings, and 1pm to 4pm in the afternoons
- Can be made in advance via our self-service system
- The schedule opens on a rolling basis, several weeks out
Advantages of an Advance Appointment:
- Guaranteed a table/station in the research room of your choice
- Reserve your table/station for a half or full day
- Reserve a specific type of microfilm machine (scanner, printer) or a dedicated computer-only station
- Request materials in advance, so items can be waiting at your table when you arrive
- Use the link in your confirmation email to request up to 3 items in advance.
- Email communication in cases of unplanned closures (winter weather, etc.)
- NEW! Specify if you have particular needs for your work station (near an electrical outlet, accessible table, number of chairs at your table), and we will do our best to accommodate
- NEW! Indicate if you will be working on a space- or staff-time-intensive type of research. This will help the Library with staffing and preparation.
- NEW! Make up to 3 appointments per week
- Make your own appointments up to 4 hours before the start time: Same-day advance appointments may be possible, please call us at 651-259-3300 to see what is available!
If you do not see any available appointments in the system for a particular day, we are either closed or all appointments have already been claimed by other researchers.
If you have a true research emergency (e.g. an immediate court filing deadline) and cannot find an appointment time, please call us at 651-259-3300. We will do our best to help you.
For Walk-in Researchers:
In the microfilm room:
- Two reader-printers reserved for brief use
- One scanner that can be used for thirty minutes at a time in order to save digital files to USB (researchers are responsible for bringing their own drives).
Need other assistance? Please contact us via:
See our research self-help page for quick answers to the most commonly asked questions.