The Gale Family Library is open for in-person research
Thursday: 10am to 4pm*
Friday: 10am to 4pm
Saturday: 10am to 4pm
*Beginning Thursday, February 16, the Library will be open Thursday mornings!
Library staff also assist researchers via phone, email, virtual viewings, and other distance services
For same-day research
- You can arrive anytime we are open on a given day. (Note: we do stop pulling materials from the stacks 30 minutes before we close.)
- Stop at the Reference Desk for a table–open research stations and equipment are assigned on a first-come-first-served basis, so they cannot be guaranteed.
- To request materials in advance or hold materials for another day, please make an appointment.
To make an appointment in advance
Use our online self-service system to make your own appointment up to 24 hours before the start time. Or call us and we can help (651-259-3300).
Advantages of appointments
- Items can be waiting at your table when you arrive!
- Use the link in your confirmation email to request up to 3 items in advance.
- Save waiting time on your next visit by holding materials for a future date/time.
- Guarantee a table/station in the research room of your choice
- Reserve a specific type of microfilm machine (scanner, printer) or a dedicated computer-only station
- Receive direct email communication in cases of unplanned closures like winter weather.
- Specify if you have particular needs for your workstation (near an electrical outlet, accessible table, number of chairs at your table)--we’ll do our best to accommodate
- Help with library preparation by Indicating if you will be working with oversized materials, photographic negatives, institutional records, legislative research, etc.
If you have a research emergency (e.g. an immediate court filing deadline) and cannot find a research time that will work for you, please call 651-259-3300. We will do our best to help you through either an in-person research visit or a distance option.
For more information please see
- Using the Minnesota Historical Society Library: an online guide about the Library
- Our research self-help page for quick answers to the most commonly asked questions
Have any questions or need assistance?
We’re here to help!
Please contact us via
- Phone at 651-259-3300
- Email form
See our research self-help page for quick answers to the most commonly asked questions.