The Gale Family Library is open to both advance and walk-in research appointments on Thursdays (1-4pm) and Fridays/Saturdays (10am-4pm).
Advance appointments are strongly recommended, but they are not required. Library staff are currently also assisting researchers via the phone, distance services, website, and email.
Holidays and Special Hours
- Saturday, December 24 (Christmas Eve): Closed
- Thursday, December 29: Closed for Construction
- Friday, December 30: Closed for Construction
- Saturday, December 31: Closed for Construction
- Thursday afternoons (1pm to 4pm)
- Friday mornings and afternoons (10am to 4pm)
- Saturday mornings and afternoons (10am to 4pm)
- Made online or by phone in advance, or on-site as a walk-in appointment.
- 3 hours long: 10am to 1pm in the mornings, and 1pm to 4pm in the afternoons
- Can be made in advance via our self-service system
- The schedule opens on a rolling basis, several weeks out
- Advance appointments are not required, but are strongly recommended
Advantages of an Advance Appointment:
- Guaranteed a table/station in the research room of your choice
- Reserve your table/station for a half or full day
- Reserve a specific type of microfilm machine (scanner, printer) or a dedicated computer-only station
- Request materials in advance, so items can be waiting at your table when you arrive
- Use the link in your confirmation email to request up to 3 items in advance.
- Email communication in cases of unplanned closures (winter weather, etc.)
- NEW! Specify if you have particular needs for your work station (near an electrical outlet, accessible table, number of chairs at your table), and we will do our best to accommodate
- NEW! Indicate if you will be working on a space- or staff-time-intensive type of research. This will help the Library with staffing and preparation.
- NEW! Make up to 3 appointments per week
- Make your own appointments up to 4 hours before the start time: Same-day advance appointments may be possible, please call us at 651-259-3300 to see what is available!
If you do not see any available appointments in the system for a particular day, we are either closed or all appointments have already been claimed by other researchers.
If you have a true research emergency (e.g. an immediate court filing deadline) and cannot find an appointment time, please call us at 651-259-3300. We will do our best to help you.
For Walk-in Researchers:
- You can arrive anytime we are open on a given day (note: we stop pulling materials from the stacks 30 minutes before we close.)
- We cannot guarantee a table, work station, or particular type of equipment will be available.
- You cannot request materials in advance or hold materials for another day without an advance appointment
- You may have to switch tables/stations mid-day to accommodate those with advance appointments on particular stations or types of equipment.
In the microfilm room:
- For microfilm reader-printers or scanners we strongly recommend that you make a reservation. These machines are in heavy demand and may not be available to walk-in researchers.
- A number of the older-style microfilm viewers are available on a reserved or a first-come-first-served basis. These machines are not able to print or save to a USB drive. Users at viewers can also use shared machines:
- Two reader-printers reserved for brief use
- One scanner that can be used for thirty minutes at a time in order to save digital files to USB (researchers are responsible for bringing their own drives).
- There is also the option to use a phone or a camera to capture images from microfilm viewers.
- There is a maximum total of 30 people in the microfilm room at a time, including staff.
- If you think an on-site appointment is the best option for your project, we recommend using our self-service system to make an appointment.
Need other assistance? Please contact us via:
See our research self-help page for quick answers to the most commonly asked questions.