Media Duplication Services
Learn how to access and purchase audio/video/film materials from the Gale Family Library.
I want to:
- Purchase a copy for my personal, research, or pre-production use
- Purchase a copy for production or public use
- See costs for duplication, delivery, and use
- Request an "access copy" for one-time viewing or listening
Purchasing copies for personal or research use
- Figure out what you want
- Search the library catalog or collection finding aid
- Submit a media duplication service request online
- Library staff will determine if the requested media can be duplicated
- If the requested media can be duplicated, a quote will be emailed to you within 15 business days (to estimate costs, see copying and delivery fees)
- If the item cannot be duplicated, library staff will contact you
- Submit payment
- Quote will contain a link to our online store. Use this to make payment online via credit card
- To pay offline via check, respond to the quote message and we will send instructions
- Digital files or audio CDs are normally sent within 10 to 15 business days after payment is received
- Digital delivery (watermarked MP4 or MP3 file) via Hightail file transfer system
- CDs shipped via USPS (additional shipping charges apply)
Purchasing copies for production or public use
- If you don’t know what materials you want to use, order a pre-production (personal/research use) copy first or view/listen to items you are considering.
- Complete and sign the Request Permission to Broadcast/Exhibit Footage form
- Return form to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for permission to use
- We will review your request and contact you regarding approval or denial, or if we have further questions about your application
- Approved requests require additional use agreement paperwork be completed and signed prior to delivery
- If permission to use is granted, we will send you a price quote, including:
- Digital files will be sent within 10 business days after payment is received and use agreements are completed
- Audio delivered as WAV files
- Video and film delivered as unwatermarked MOV files, film digitized in high definition (ProRes 2K) and video in standard definition (DV50).
Media duplication costs will include one or both of the following:
- Copying fee
- This is the cost for the actual copying/duplicating/digitizing of the audio or video item
- Cost per item, based on original format:
|Format type||Fee (per item)|
|Audio cassettes, CDs||$10|
|VHS and other videocassette types||$20|
|Film prints (16mm)||$40|
- There is no copying fee for items that are already digitized (library staff will determine if item is already digitized)
- Delivery and handling fees
- $5 per file delivered electronically
- $10 per CD shipped via USPS
- A 16mm film sent as an watermarked MP4: $45 ($40 copying fee + $5 delivery fee)
- An audio cassette put onto CD, mailed via USPS: $20 ($10 copying fee + $10 delivery fee)
- An already-digitized oral history sent as an MP3: $5 delivery fee
Use fees for film/video are charged per 30-second increments:
- $250 TV network (Minnesota nonprofits, Minnesota media)
- $250 TV public (worldwide)
- $125 TV public (Minnesota nonprofits, Minnesota media)
- $750 TV worldwide
- $150 educational (film festivals, schools, libraries)
- $1,000 commercial worldwide
- $500 commercial (Minnesota media)
- $750 worldwide web
- $1,250 all-markets media bundle
Contact email@example.com for information about use fees for audio-only materials.
Requesting an “access copy” for viewing/listening
Researchers can currently listen to and watch DVDs, VHS, cassette, CD, and digital audio formats at the Gale Family Library or through a virtual viewing session. In an effort to minimize damage and preserve the materials in our collection, researchers may only use "access copies" and not the original items.
If an access copy does not already exist, researchers can request one:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Media Duplication Request” with the following information:
- Your name
- Your phone number
- Title of item
- Author or collection
- Location/box or call number
- Any other information that will help identify the item
- Library staff will create a use copy
- Access copies will be created within 6 weeks, as staff time permits.
- There is no cost for an individual access copy, and it will remain the property of the Gale Family Library.
- If you need more than 5 access copies created, please let us know. Depending on the size and timing of larger requests, a fee may apply.
- We will contact you when the access copy is available to view
- Access copies can be viewed at the Library whenever we are open. In order to ensure that the copy will be waiting for you when you arrive, please make an appointment after we contact you to confirm that the copy is complete.
- Virtual/online viewings may be possible by appointment. Visit our Virtual Viewing page for more information and to request a session.