The Gale Family Library participates in Interlibrary Loan (ILL) on a limited basis.
Information for individuals
What is Interlibrary Loan?
Many libraries participate in Interlibrary Loan services in a cooperative effort to provide research materials to scholars, students, and other researchers. Every day MNHS loans materials to public libraries, universities, and other institutions of learning.
Borrowing materials to view at the library
MNHS does not borrow materials from other institutions on behalf of individuals.
Borrowing Gale Family Library materials to view elsewhere
Individuals should contact their public library to determine their microfilm viewing capabilities and to create an ILL request. Gale Family Library only loans out materials on microfilm. Any microfilmed item can be loaned if we have a master negative of the film. This includes:
- All Minnesota newspapers on microfilm
- Many microfilmed manuscript collections and Minnesota State Archives records
- Most microfilmed city directories, and county atlases
Gale Family Library does not loan any books, serials, audio-visual materials, federal census microfilm, or death certificate microfilm.
- 3 weeks from the date items are received by the borrowing institution
- A one-time renewal for 2 weeks is available
- Renewal requests must come from the borrowing institution
- A researcher may borrow up to 6 reels of microfilm at one time and may not request additional loans until previously borrowed films have been returned
- Loan charges** are $3 per reel plus $2.50 shipping for each order
- Photocopies or low-resolution digital scans of book chapters or journal articles may be requested through Interlibrary Loan, depending on copyright and the condition of the item. (Note: microfilm is loaned for newspaper article requests.) Limit 100 pages.
- The charge for copies is $.20 per page** plus $1.75 shipping for physical copies
- The minimum charge for copies is $2
- Requests for Interlibrary Loan copies should be submitted by a public library or other institution
- For photocopies from manuscripts or state archives, see our distance copy request services.
**Individuals should contact their library regarding charges as costs may vary based on the borrowing institution’s InterLibrary loan policies.
Inquiries regarding Interlibrary Loan policies and procedures should be directed to email@example.com or 651-259-3315. For information on the availability of materials, search our online catalog or contact our reference staff.
Information for borrowing institutions
ILL requests can be submitted via Minitex, OCLC WorldShare (symbol MHS; IFM payment preferred), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or US mail. Invoices will be sent with the borrowed items. Microfilm should be returned boxed and sent via USPS library rate mail to:
Minnesota Historical Society
345 W. Kellogg Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55102
Ordering microfilm reproductions
Gale Family Library can reproduce many reels of its microfilm collection for purchase. These copies may be used for study, teaching, and research purposes only.
Find your microfilm
- Search the online library catalog by the newspaper’s title
- Search results can be limited by selecting "Newspaper Microfilm" on the left-side panel
- Click the desired title in the search results
- In the record, select the location "Gale Family Library Newspaper Microfilm"
- On the location page is a list of dates for the title. One line of dates is equal to one reel of microfilm.
- Specific dates can found by clicking the filter icon, then clicking "Volume" to select a year
- Please note: We cannot distribute newspaper microfilm to private individuals. For more information, send an inquiry to email@example.com.
- Search the online library catalog by the title of the collection or name of the author
- Click on the desired collection from your search results
- Please note: Most records will indicate if microfilm reproductions can be purchased. Or send an inquiry to our reference staff to find out if film can be reproduced.
State archive records
- A limited number of state archive records on microfilm can be reproduced
- Search the online catalog or contact our reference staff
Fill out a microfilm reproduction order form (PDF)
Indicate the titles, dates, or call numbers of the microfilm. Order forms can be emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mailed.
- Reproduction: $90 per microfilm reel
- Shipping: $2.50 for 1 to 6 reels; $2.50 for each additional 6 reels
- Payment can be made by credit card or check. Institutions can be invoiced.
Microfilm reproductions are made at an offsite lab. Processing time from the order date is 4–6 months. Large orders may require additional processing time.