The Gale Family Library offers a wide variety of research services.
We charge a fee for all research performed by staff. Please note that we have substantially discounted the rates for most of our research services. Prices are listed in the online store.
Search online yourself
- Birth records delivered via email — Currently available
- Death records delivered via email — Currently available
- State census records view and print records for free — Currently available
- World War I Gold Star Rolls view and download/print records for free — Currently available
- Veterans’ grave registration records delivered via US Mail — Temporarily unavailable
Please see distance copy requests for more information about this service.
Basic research requests
- 1918 alien registration record research request
- City directory search request
- Death records: 1900–1904
Death Records: 1904–2001, see Minnesota People records search
- Marriage record request
- Naturalization record request
- Newspaper article request (non-obituary)
- Obituary request
- Will book record request
- Student records from Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf (MSAD) request
- Civil War pension research request
- Court records search request
- Legislative document search request
- Military records requests
- Owatonna State Public School records request
- State correctional institution (prison) records request
- State hospital records request
Discontinued research services
- Land survey field notes
These records are available for free through the Bureau of Land Management’s Land Survey Field Notes search.
Interlibrary loan (ILL)
Interlibrary loan services are currently available. MNHS makes items available for interlibrary loan (ILL) on a limited basis. Items available include most of our newspaper and microfilmed manuscript collections, Minnesota state archives records, city directories, and county atlases.
If you are interested in borrowing MNHS materials through interlibrary loan, please contact your local public or university library for assistance. They will serve as the borrower on your behalf and can help you with their procedures. Please see our interlibrary loan section for more information on our ILL policies.
Once the library reopens, patrons needing additional help with complex or broad-based research can consult the list of independent researchers who are familiar with our collections. Any service agreements are solely between the patron and the hired researcher.
Note: No researchers — including independent contract researchers — will have access to on-site collections materials until the library reopens.