The Minnesota Historical Society preserves and makes available a wide range of materials chronicling Minnesota's history and culture. The goals of the Collections Department are to collect and preserve; provide access and interpretation; and engage in education and outreach. This blog is a tool to share these stories and let people know what is happening in the department.
On this date in 1851 the town Montezuma is founded by Orrin Smith, a steamboat captain. The town is more recognizable by its present name, Winona. This is an anonymous painting of Winona done in 1870.
This photo is of two men bundled up watching a cold November 1937 University of Minnesota football game.
Floyd B. Olson was born on this day in 1891 in Minneapolis. He would be the first Farmer-Labor governor, serving from 1931 until his death while in office on August 22, 1936. He is remembered for implementing New Deal policies and for his skilled negotiating during the 1933 Hormel strike in Austin and the 1934 teamsters' strike in Minneapolis. While he was a man of the people, he still needed a top hat.
This is an U.S. Army Veteran's Overseas Cap from 1919. Happy Veteran's Day observed - thanks to all who served then and now!
This word book was made by missionary Alfred L. Riggs in the 1880s. It was a tool used in the classroom to teach the written Dakota language to native speakers.
In 1926 the old Mendota bridge to Fort Snelling opened and was dedicated to the men of the 151st Field Artillery who had been killed in World War I.
Remember there's only a few days left to see WW1 America, which closes on November 11!
Today is election day around the country and in Minnesota! This photo is of the Minneapolis Junior Chamber of Commerce sponsoring a "Get Out the Vote" campaign in 1932. Note "George Washington" standing by an airplane shaking hands and urging people to vote.
Did you remember to set your clocks back this weekend? This cast metal electric clock features likenesses of George Washington, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln standing around a ship's wheel. Ca. 1940.