Why You Should Speak Up for Minnesota History
Regardless of the state's economic situation, it's important not to lose sight of MNHS' and other history organizations’ value to all Minnesotans. Legislators and the governor need to hear from voters that funding MNHS and history education and preservation programs is a good use of tax dollars.
Whenever you speak up for history, you're making a difference. Effective ways to speak up:
- Send a message to your State Representative and Senator and the Governor
- Visit your representative in person
- Invite your legislator to visit your historic site or museum, particularly for special events
- Write a personal letter to your representative
- Call your representative
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper
- Tell your friends and colleagues
- Use social media to spread the word about the importance of history
History Matters Day at the Capitol
Many thanks to those of you who attended History Matters Day at the Capitol on March 8. There were lots of history fans in attendance who were able to connect with important decision-makers — and network with their colleagues in the history world.
If you were not able to attend, it’s not too late to be a desktop advocate. Call, write or email your legislator to urge their support for Historic Fort Snelling.
Learn more about the exciting effort to Revitalize Historic Fort Snelling.