The Minnesota Historical Society preserves and makes available a wide range of materials chronicling Minnesota's history and culture. The goals of the Collections Department are to collect and preserve; provide access and interpretation; and engage in education and outreach. This blog is a tool to share these stories and let people know what is happening in the department.
This black wool fedora was worn during performances by Monte Moir, keyboardist for The Time, between 1981 - 1984.
In honor of the hat collection being fully cataloged, the rest of this week's Item of the Day will be hats. This hat is from the 1920s. It is a purple, soft straw cloche hat, ornamented by glass bead decoration.
See more hats in the recent Star Tribune article.
This photograph was taken in 1967 of Dr. Martin Luther King speaking against the war in Vietnam. He was at the St. Paul Campus of the University of Minnesota.
On this day in 1849, Stephen A. Douglas, senator from Illinois, introduced a bill to organize Minnesota Territory. This map is of the territory shows the route of the expedition to the Red River of the north in the summer of 1849. It was made by John Pope.
This photograph shows dog sleds near the Snow Shoe Trail in the Superior National Forest, St. Louis County, 1925.
This sequined black net and blue satin dress was made by dressmaker Hattie H. McGahn in Minneapolis between 1918 - 1923.
Ducks may be so last week, but this image is still worth sharing. This print was made by Eddy Cobiness in 1985.
On this day in 1993 Ann Bancroft reached the South Pole by skis, becoming the first woman to travel overland to both the North and South Poles. She led the American Women's Expedition on a sixty-seven-day trek during which the four women cover 660 miles on skis.This Finbar hood was used on that trip.
This stoneware teapot with dark green mottled ash glaze with slightly dented, incised/cut surface and a bamboo handle was made by Warren MacKenzie of Stillwater in 1996.
This large, shallow, reddish platter with temmoku glaze and brush-dripped strong chrome green decoration was created by Warren MacKenzie of Stillwater, circa 1996.