The Minnesota Historical Society preserves and makes available a wide range of materials chronicling Minnesota's history and culture. The goals of the Collections Department are to collect and preserve; provide access and interpretation; and engage in education and outreach. This blog is a tool to share these stories and let people know what is happening in the department.
This action figure doll with original box commemorates Jesse Ventura, who was elected Governor of Minnesota in 1998. This version of the figure is wearing a blue sweatshirt with Champlin Park High School (where Ventura had served as a volunteer conditioning coach) and Zubaz logos, as well as white, blue, and grey Zubaz-style athletic pants, and white high-top sneakers.
For more information or to purchase a photograph of this item, view this figure in our collections database.
This letter by Kate Lowry of the Hospital Supplies Committee of the Minneapolis Chapter of the American Red Cross lists supplies, mostly clothing, that were needed by the Alllies. Lowry also records the articles that were shipped in June from the Minneapolis Chapter, as well as the donations of supplies given to the Base Hospital by various organizations including the Woman's Club, the Anti-Suffrage Association, the D.A.R, and East Side Station.
This carte-de-visite photograph is of Color Sergeant William N. Irvine holding the shredded First Minnesota battle flag shortly after the battle of Gettysburg. He was injured in the Battle of Petersburg and died ten days later on June 28th, 1864.
"Freeborn County Soldiers Take Oath" and "French Assaults Crumple German Defenses in West" - Freeborn County Standard. July 16, 1917
For their evacuation of the dead and wounded at Chemin des Dames in the summer of 1917, David Backus’s unit of the Norton-Harjes Ambulance Corps was awarded the Fourragere of the Médaille Militaire from the French Government. In a speech to Backus’s unit on July 14, 1917, the General of the Division informed Backus and his fellow drivers that they had received this prestigious award. The General proclaims that they are no longer simply attached to a unit of Chasseurs, a designation for French army soldiers trained for rapid action. Rather, with their service at Chemin des Dames, they had become honorary Chasseurs themselves. In recognition of this honor, Backus and his unit were given elements of the Chasseurs’ uniform, which included, as Backus put it, “funny little floppy caps.” Though Backus displayed a fairly non-serious, irreverent attitude toward the uniform, the fact remained that the award was notable. In fact, Backus’s division was the only ambulance division to receive this award during the First World War.
Saturday July 14-1917.
French Fourth, most of fellows left 5 A.M. went to Paris in our cars to see [...]. I stayed with four or 5 others. Rolled out 8. The General of this Division in a talk to us said that we were not attached to a Regiment of Chasseurs, but are Chasseurs, first Sanatiry [sic] Section to whom this honor has been awarded. We wear the Berry's [?] funny little floppy caps of the Chasseurs. [...]
"Every Eligible Registered Man Included in Draft" and "German Coalition Cabinet Seems to be Only Solution" - The Twin City Star. July 14, 1917
This is a photograph of a man surveying the damage left by a tornado that hit the SW Metro area on June 24, 1952.
This image forms part of our Minneapolis and St. Paul Newspaper Negative collection. Additional photographs in this series may be available in the library, please view the finding aid.
For more information or to purchase a photograph of this item, view this photograph in our collections database.
This poster for the American Red Cross Auto Derby at the Fort Snelling Speedway includes a map of the speedway with a list of seat prices and races. The race was 100 miles and featured new cars, "embracing latest American and Foreign discoveries." Tickets were available for sale at the Dyckman and Radisson Hotels.
Citation: American Red Cross, Northern Division, records, 1915-1921. Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, Minnesota. [P781]
A large brown glass bottle with porcelain stopper from the Park Brewing Company of Winona, Minnesota, probably 1910s.
For more information or to purchase a photograph of this item, view this bottle in our collections database.