The news (Zumbrota, Minn.) 1885-1892 Browse the title
The Zumbrota news (Zumbrota, Minn.) 1892-current Browse the title
Zumbrota, Goodhue County, Minnesota was founded in 1856 and quickly grew to be the center of the southeastern Minnesota agricultural community. River traffic on the Zumbro River and the development of railroad lines through the town added to its growth. One of its first newspapers, the Zumbrota News, was founded by a stock company in 1885, and began publishing every Friday as the News. Alternating as editors in the early years were W.W. Kinne and Herman Anderson, who eventually partnered, promising on July 25, 1890 "to be zealous in their endeavors to secure that which will be of interest to the public and to assist in the development of the resources of this section of Goodhue County".
While the first published issue of the News on July 30, 1885 devoted two full pages to the death of former president General Grant, the Zumbrota News’ overall focus was on local news, social organizations, and businesses within the growing city. The Grand army of the Republic is mentioned several times as a major fundraiser in the late 1800s. Also mentioned is Zumbrota’s Company D of the state militia, which participated in the opening ceremonies of the World’s Fair in Chicago in 1892, and visited again in 1893 for the Minnesota Day. On March 23, 1906, the Zumbrota News celebrated the 21st anniversary of Company D, the longest serving state militia, by devoting three pages to its history and hopes for the future. Other organizations noted throughout the early years of the paper include: Zumbrota and the County Farm Bureau Organization, The Zumbrota Commercial Club, Zumbrota Musical Society, Zumbrota Cycle Club, and Zumbrota Automobile Club, to name a few.
W.W. Kinne and Herman Anderson alternated as editors in the early years of the Zumbrota News. In 1897 the newspaper was sold to the aspiring Norwegian lawyer Anton J. Rockne, who would later be elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives and Senate, becoming one of Minnesota’s longest serving legislators. E. F. Davis became editor and manager a few years later, after buying an interest in the paper and creating the Rockne and Davis firm. On May 18, 1906, a formal announcement was made as to the purchase of the Zumbrota Independent by the Rockne and Davis firm, making the Zumbrota News the only newspaper published in Zumbrota. The firm continued publication of the newspaper until October of 1946, when A. T. Grimsrud became owner, publisher, and editor. The Zumbrota News eventually merged with other local newspapers in 1993 to become part of the Zumbrota News-Record.
Zumbro Valley Historical Society. Zumbrota, the First 100 Years. Zumbrota, MN: The Committee, 1956.
Curtiss-Wedge, Franklyn, ed. History of Goodhue County, Minnesota. Chicago: H. C. Cooper, Jr., & Co., 1909.