SPEAK UP FOR MINNESOTA HISTORY
You can help the Minnesota Historical Society by contacting your state elected representatives. Here's why:
• Over half of the Society's operating budget comes from the State of Minnesota.
• State funding helps the Society preserve and share history statewide, through sites and museums, educational programming and our website, www.mnhs.org.
• While the state faces a difficult economic situation, it's important not to lose sight of the Society's value to all Minnesotans.
• Legislators –and the governor – need to hear from voters that funding the Society is a good use of tax dollars.
Please let your elected representatives know that history matters to you!
Minnesota History Coalition Legacy Amendment Funding Recommendation for FY14-15
Compelled by the positive results of the previous two biennium's Legacy Amendment-funded projects and the continuing need for funding, the Minnesota History Coalition is requesting that the state legislature appropriate $39.75 million over the next biennium from the Legacy Amendment's Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund to statewide history education and preservation.
Demand for funding for history projects last biennium exceeded available resources by more than 3-to-1. Meanwhile, Legacy-funded projects and programs are benefiting Minnesotans in all 87 counties in the state.
Please send a message to your legislators asking them to support the Minnesota History Coalition Legacy Amendment Funding Recommendations for FY14-15.
Ask your elected officials to continue funding the Minnesota Historical Society
This spring, the Legislature and the Governor will determine the state's two-year budget. Their decisions will affect funding for the Minnesota Historical Society and history partners across the state, and will have a major impact on our future.
Find out more about the Minnesota Historical Society.
Ask your elected officials to extend the Historic Preservation Tax Credit
The Historic Preservation Tax Credit has resulted in significant economic benefits while helping to preserve our state's history. If it's not extended, this successful program will end in June, 2015.
Read a recently released report by the University of Minnesota on the program's economic benefits. Economic Impact Analysis of Projects Leveraged by the Minnesota Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit (PDF)
Background information on Minnesota’s highly successful historic tax credit
More ways to make your voice heard
Whenever you speak up for history, you're making a difference. On this page, we've provided a link that makes it easy to email elected officials, but here are more ideas:
• Visit your representative in person • Write a personal letter to your representative • Call your representative on the phone • Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper • Tell your friends and colleagues
Anything you can do helps!